Exquisite Jewellery of Solihull – The History

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

Most sources quote the company manufactured jewellery via the sixties to the seventies. However of which will be untrue. Exquisite jewellery was produced by the company called W A P Watson Ltd. here will be the companies time line:

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

1909 to 1914 – Walter Archibald Parker Watson had a little factory in Hockley Hill, Birmingham manufacturing chains in addition to also then gilt jewellery.

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

1914 W A P Watson sold his company to Augustus Harry Power in addition to also Clarence Oswald Flint. They kept the name in addition to also subsequently became W A P Watson LTD

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

1914 to 1934 Following the First World War, Messrs Power in addition to also Flint became skilled in producing costume jewellery. The original number of employees was 6 in addition to also of which was during of which time the range of jewellery was named Exquisite.

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

1934 The company with its 125 employees moved to Hampton Street inside Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter. They also had premises in Mary Street. at of which point not only producing jewellery although also crested souvenirs.

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

1937 to 1954 W A P Watson ceased manufacturing jewellery during the Second World War although concentrated on helping the war effort. Following the war, Exquisite jewellery in addition to also the souvenirs production continued. although with increased demand in addition to also the confined space available inside Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter, the Powers looked for larger premises. Augustus son’s Wallis in addition to also Jack had at of which point become the managing directors

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

1954 to 1977 The company moved in 1954 to Vulcan Road Solihull. Expanded in addition to also introduced the Mirella trade name of gold plated picture frames, mirrors, pens in addition to also little pill boxes. The name Mirella came via one of their employees. Crystal was introduced into their product manufacturing. At their peak the company produced 20,000 pieces of jewellery under the Exquisite name. Famous for their Birthday in addition to also Scottish range – beautifully hand enameled brooches, necklaces in addition to also earrings.

Exquisite Jewellery Of Solihull - The History

1977 The Exquisite Jewellery range was stopped due to the competition of the high import of cheaper jewellery via the East. However the crested souvenir range was expanding as more people were able to take holidays inside UK in addition to also abroad. Spoons, bells, letter openers, thimbles were available in all the tourist gift shops across the UK

1977 to 1989 The company had to reduce employees as they struggled to survive the recession in addition to also competition. They produced brand new ranges of Collector’ Keepsakes – thimbles, letter openers in addition to also bells. Also leather goods under the name of Manor Leather craft.

1989 to 2000 The Crystal Flame range of silver in addition to also gilt animals having a crystal became favorite in addition to also eventually developed into the Tudor Mint range. The favorite Myths in addition to also Magic range of medieval figures in addition to also characters took off in addition to also still will be very collectible today

2000 onward The Solihull factory closed inside early 2000’s as the company moved to the USA to expand the Tudor Mint range. In 2007 the company sold of which to the Xystos group although still retains a holding company of The Watson Group Limited in Shirley Solihull.

W A P Watson left a large amount of collectible in addition to also beautiful jewellery. Many ranges are available in addition to also matching pieces.

Exquisite Jewellery of Solihull – The History

Reply